Below are all confirmed tour dates and live appearances of Mark Oshiro, creator and writer of Mark Reads and Mark Watches! Most link off to Facebook event pages, which are used to provide Mark with an idea of how large of a venue needs to be booked for an event. If you do not have Facebook, this is okay! You can still show up without an RSVP. Unless explicitly stated, all Mark Does Stuff events are free and open to the general public.
Current Appearance Schedule (Updated 09/29/16)
October 19 – 21: LeakyCon, Los Angeles, CA
April 14 – 16: Minicon, Bloomington, MN – Fan Guest of Honor
May 26 – 29: Wiscon, Madison, WI
July 6 – 9: NorthAmeriCon, San Juan, Puerto Rico
August 9 – 13: Worldcon 75, Helsinki, Finland
August 14 – ???: Mark Does Stuff Europe/UK Tour 2017
Mark is available for lectures, speaking engagements, school events, live readings, and other such shenaniganry throughout the year. (Obviously barring any major holidays, and probably Halloween, because that is the best day of the year.) Are you interested in bringing Mark to your town? Here’s what you need to know:
1) Mark does not charge an appearance fee. He’s not that famous yet.
2) However, the likelihood that Mark will actually confirm an event with you will be raised if your organization has a budget that can pay him, provide a flight, provide a hotel, or any such arrangement.
3) Honestly, if you have a confirmed venue that can be open to the public, that’s basically all Mark needs. It’s that easy! Obviously, there are exceptions. Traveling internationally is wickedly expensive, so it’s harder to get to places outside of the U.S. or Canada. Mark loves Canada, by the way. Plus, if you are booking me for a private lecture on campus, please let me know ahead of time.
4) Content guidelines are okay in terms of the focus of the event. I’ve held events that are PG-rated and ones that are nowhere near an M-rating and instead exist in a stratosphere of NOT OKAY that is off in space. However, I cannot change the core ideas that form Mark Does Stuff, so you can’t ask Mark to show up somewhere and then “not talk about racism or sexism or anything that might make people uncomfortable.” Yeah, not gonna happen. However, you can ask Mark to speak about only Harry Potter! Or only dystopias! Or only racism! Or only online communities!
5) Mark adores conventions and is TOTALLY willing to come speak at YOUR convention! Even if it is small and local! Conventions are more likely to happen if you can provide lodging nearby because staying 4-5 days in a hotel can get expensive. But this is not required. Honestly, just shoot me an email and ask. I will most likely say yes. I LOVE CONS.
If all of this sounds wonderful and you’re ready to request Mark in a town near you, please email him at markreadsandwatches [at] gmail [dot] com. He’ll get back to you as soon as he can.