In the twenty-seventh and twenty-eighth chapters of Ella Enchanted, Ella does her best to hide her identity at the ball, but Prince Char makes it challenging for her to do so. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to read Ella Enchanted.
Chapter Twenty-Seven / Chapter Twenty-Eight
- THIS IS AN EXERCISE IN UNBEARABLE TENSION, Y’ALL.
- WHAT IF SOMEONE ORDERS ELLA TO DO SOMETHING
- WHAT IF SHE’S RECOGNIZED
- WHAT IF SHE’S RECOGNIZED.
- Of course, the easiest thing Ella could have done was just drift into the background of the ball, never to be seen in any meaningful way. Which is precisely why I love that she can’t resist the pull of the man she loves, and she decides to be the last person he sees that night.
- And barely hides by calling herself “Lela.” I’m so amused by this, y’all.
- THEN SHE SPEAKS AYORTHAIAN TO HIM.
- Ella, you are BOLD AS HELL. And I adore it! I know it’s impractical but I don’t care. After she’s spent so much of her life having to be at the whim of other people, I love that she decides to flirt with danger by… flirting. Well, that was a mess of a sentence, but whatever, it’s true.
- SHE MAKES A JOKE ABOUT HAVING A FEAR OF HEIGHTS BECAUSE SHE GREW TALLER. I LOVE YOU, ELLA.
- I do not love Hattie and Olive. At all. Olive has turned to into a monster, obsessed with forever getting more and more money, and Hattie is… god, she’s just awful in these two chapters. We’ll get to her other part later.
- Ella being jealous of Char’s other dancing partners: both cute and horribly sad, especially if you think about the fact that she knows this can’t last.
- THE HOMECOMING SONG
- THE HOMECOMING SONG
- HE KNOWS, HE KNOWS, OH GOD, HE KNOWS.
- “Remember me? / I remember you.”
- HOW COULD HE NOT KNOW OH MY GOD.
- I just need to state something here so that we can all cackle together. Char’s diary entry is the most perfect example of ME in the world, because here we have a fictional character who has said so many suspicious or perfectly on-the-nose things, and despite that the answer is right in front of him (YOU LITERALLY WROTE HER NAME AND CROSSED IT OUT OH MY GOD), he still doesn’t see what’s happening. I’m Prince Char. That’s the whole point of this book.
- Okay, it’s not, but as soon as I read that, I thought, “Well, damn, my own readers have tricked me into reading about myself.”
- MANDY GOT ELLA A TIARA AND NECKLACE THAT WOULDN’T DISAPPEAR AT MIDNIGHT YOU ARE THE BEST I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.
- And then chapter twenty-eight becomes even more unbearably tense than the previous one. It’s clear that Char is enamored with Lady Lela, which just means the inevitable reveal of Lela’s identity has to come sooner rather than later. What is Ella going to do when she has to leave? Ignore Char? Offend him again? I mean, this is all going to unravel eventually! Queen Daria already realized that there are no orange carriages in Bast.
- “I can’t tell through the mask, but you remind me of a lady I admired. She had the most playful spirit I ever knew.” She added so only I could hear, “If you are like her, then Char has chosen well.”
- SCREAMING FOREVER OH MY GOD YOU MEAN ELLA’S MOTHER. Queen Daria, you are somehow more unprepared than I am.
- HATTIE GO AWAY FOREVER
- Oh my god, Hattie told Ella that she and Char are SECRETLY ENGAGED.
- what is WRONG with you????
- Hey, there hasn’t been a gut-wrenching moment of heartbreak yet.
- “But it won’t be the same. You can never go back to a moment when you were happy.”
- Goddamn it, Gail Carson Levine, why must you treat my heart with such abandon?
- PRINCE CHAR HAS RESOLVED TO NEVER MARRY
- OH MY GOD, HE DOESN’T WANT ANYONE ELSE AFTER ELLA BROKE HIS HEART.
- I’m gonna need this book to stop.
- “I felt something at the back of my head. Hattie, dancing nearby with the Earl of Demby, snatched off my mask. I let go of Char and covered my face with my hands, but not quickly enough.”
- THIS IS JUST CRUEL. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME. You better believe I’m going to finish this book RIGHT NOW.
Please note that the original text/videos contain use of the word “mad.”
Mark Links Stuff
– If you would like to support this website and keep Mark Does Stuff running, I’ve put up a detailed post explaining how you can!
– Please check out the MarkDoesStuff.com. All Mark Watches videos for past shows/season are now archived there!
– My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often.
– I will be at quite a few conventions and will be hosting numerous events throughout the US, Canada, and Europe in 2014. Please check my Tour Dates/Appearances page often to see if I’m coming to your city!