You know, it’s high time I just had a post up letting you know what’s going on in the Mark Does Stuff world! I have some events coming up very soon, some news about Double Features, and an idea I’m looking for an input on about a possible online event for this community. READ ON AND WEEP IF YOU WANT, BECAUSE WEEPING IS TOTALLY FINE.
So, let’s get to it!
1) Help support me if you can! Tax season is upon me, and despite having saved throughout the year as best I could, that goddamn self-employment tax just knocked me to the ground. That thing is UGLY. So, if you can help with donations or purchasing anything, please check out the post I’ve put up that explains how you can support me and keep the Mark Does Stuff universe chugging along. Any little bit helps, honestly.
2) The splits for The Light Fantastic are being worked on and should be ready soon! You can help other Discworld fans come up with the splits for how I will read the series, too. The more people helping, the sooner we can have sections you can claim and commission!
3) Double Features for Mark Reads ONLY will be taking a break after Deep Secret. I need time to finish my novel and this short story I have to write because of reasons, like the fact that it’s too good of an idea to let fade away. I’m also planning a secret thing for Mark Watches that I need time to execute. I will let y’all know in advance once they come back so you’ll know what book is next! (I honestly have no idea what I want to read next for the site.)
4) I have a ton of events this year! I will soon be updating my tour schedule for a couple Bay Area events. I’ll also be at a number of conventions this year, nearly all of which will have free, public events while I am in that specific town. If you’ve not seen me live, I can assure you it’s a more ridiculous version of what happens on the website and at some point during the event, I’ll have ruined someone’s life. Guaranteed.
5) Would y’all be interested in a low-cost online “convention” of sorts? I would like to go everywhere for everyone, but alas, there are any number of factors that have prevented me from going… well, everywhere. I am curious if any folks would be interested in an online event (on a weekend) that’s part hangout, part live reading, part panel. It’s something I’ve been toying with as a way to raise money AND have a more accessible way to host an event. I have 0% details worked out, but I wanted to gauge interest. IS THIS A THING YOU’D LIKE TO HAPPEN. It would happen mostly likely in a couple months, and have various levels of membership, but again, nothing is set in stone. If it works out and is successful, it could be something that happens multiple times per year!
6) I am also thinking of applying for a subscription service like Subabble or Patreon. My initial hesitation to this is that I’m always concerned about access. I want to make sure people can always view the site for free, and it’s why nearly every event I’ve done publicly was free and open to the public. So, like the previous point, I’m more or less testing the waters. Would people be open to an optional subscription service? The site and YouTube videos are staying exactly the same, so please don’t think that this is me even considering changing the format of the site. It would just be an optional thing for people to support if they can. If so, what sort of perks would you consider reasonable? That was always the one thing that seemed too complex to me, but I’m interested in what y’all have to say!
Otherwise, I’m just keeping everything afloat! Make sure to check out what’s going on over on Mark Watches, too. I’m doing Supernatural, The West Wing, and Baccano! right now. I’ll be starting the entirety of the Star Trek canon in June, and I’ve got a post up about some more Double Features I’ll be tackling this year. HUZZAH.
I must thank y’all for the ongoing attention and love that you send my way. Things sometimes get stressful and overwhelming for me, but I love that every day, I can look at the comments or my Twitter replies, and seeing all of you? Goddamn, it makes me feel so much better. Thank you. <3
Mark (Who Does Stuff)