In the seventh part of The Last Hero, the Kite flyers take an unexpected detour. Intrigued? Then itâ€™s time for Mark to read Discworld.Â
Okay, can this entire review just be, â€œDitto the last review,â€Â because I FEEL THE SAME WAY. The sense of wonder that Pratchett conveys through the side-trip to the moon is INCREDIBLE. Yâ€™all, there are MOON DRAGONS that LIVE ON THE MOON and eat WEIRD MOON PLANTS and thereâ€™s literally nothing about this that I donâ€™t love???
Look, through sheer luck (which is the wizardly way, of course), Ponder is able to figure out how to get the Kite to land on the moon, and at that point, I figured that they would be stranded for a lot longer than they were. I actually had to remind myself that this is a much shorter book than Iâ€™m used to. Regardless, Pratchett introduces a solution to the crash of the Kite while also getting to reveal a huge surprise in the Discworld universe. Itâ€™s clear and meaningful because MOON DRAGONS. Moon dragons, I canâ€™t get over this. Sorry, not sorry, let me yell:
- Theyâ€™ve got longer legs, but they look like theyâ€™re made of silver moonlight.
- â€œAll nose,â€ that is literally how they are described.
- They fart fire. THEY FART IT.
- Can we just acknowledge this: â€œThe strange thing was, as Leonard said, that once you stopped sniggering about the whole idea it made a lot of sense. It was so stupid for a flying creature to have a weapon which stopped it dead in midair, for example.â€ THIS IS AMAZING.
- The dragons on the moon behave like deer. DEER. Just on this point alone, they feel drastically different than swamp dragons.
- (I was curious why none of Kidbyâ€™s illustrations include all the lunar vegetation. I wanted to see what those looked like.)
- The lunar vegetation is like SUPER FOOD for swamp dragons. I donâ€™t even have a theory what it might be made of it, but the more I think about this, the cooler it is. Did the dragons evolve this way because those who could fart-propel with gas (GET IT) could navigate the low gravity atmosphere better? LETâ€™S SCIENCE THIS UP.
I just love it so much, yâ€™all. I also love that Pratchett made a joke about that whole phenomenon that happens to people who see the Earth from space. Leonard suggesed growing forests to spell out the name of countries!!! I HATE THIS AND ALSO CANâ€™T STOP LAUGHING AT IT.
I am also gonna make a guess: the swamp dragons all ignited at once and pushed the moon further along its passage, so much so that you can now observe it from the Disc. Thatâ€™s gotta be what the wizards see at the end of this section, right??? Thatâ€™s my theory! And in the next section, the Hordeâ€™s gonna end up in palace of the gods. Theyâ€™re so close, butâ€¦ shit, I donâ€™t have a theory as to what Evil Harryâ€™s plan is. Well, two for three is pretty good, so onwards I go.
Mark Links Stuff