This is actually going to be fun. Truth be told, I’m kind of excited to read Catching Fire; first of all, you won’t have to hear me whine about how it’s like Battle Royale anymore. (That’s assuming my prediction is correct.) Plus, I’m now entering unknown territory. No one has spoiled or biased me (to my knowledge) towards what happens in the next two books.
I’m taking a day off from normal review on Mark Reads so that I can get a bit ahead of myself and advance post reviews for the Christmas weekend. The first review of Catching Fire goes up tomorrow, I’m taking Christmas off, and then chapter two goes up on Sunday.
So, let’s get down to some predictions. You are welcome to post your own theories IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK. I know there are quite a bit of you reading along with me, so let’s all attempt to out-see Trelawney. Please, please, PLEASE read the updated Spoiler Policy, which is now in the header, and do NOT screw this up. Yesterday’s final Hunger Games review had a slew of spoiler-y comments because….I DON’T KNOW. HOW HARD IS IT NOT TO TALK ABOUT THIS.
Onwards we go!
~My Totally Accurate Predictions For Catching Fire~
- We will see Effie in a new color wig.
- Gale and Katniss will start off being friends; Gale teases Katniss about what she did in the Games, but he eventually starts growing apart from her.
- Peeta is going to act indifferent to Katniss at the opening of the novel, a continuation of the end of the first book.
- We will not see President Snow until the end of the book.
- The title is a reference to Katniss herself. I’m guessing that since she is The Girl On Fire, she gets….caught? Wow, that sounded much better in my head than it does when I type it out.
- Katniss’s mother will have improved.
- Katniss will meet Rue’s parents on that tour she mentioned in the last chapter of The Hunger Games. They will thank her for what she did in the arena.
- Conversely, she will meet the parents of the boy from District One who she killed and they will hate her.
- Someone will find out that Katniss and Gale have been leaving the district to hunt. (Maybe that relates to how she is caught?)
- We will see the Capitol again.
- This is a no-brainer, but should be said: We will get a much better idea of where the districts in Panem are and what they each specialize in.
- And let’s just get to the big predictions. I think Katniss’s mom and Gale will die by the end of the book. Collins clearly has no reserves about killing off characters, so I think they’ll both die.
- Katniss will not figure out if she likes Gale or Peeta more by the end of the book.
- I think we will finally hear about hints of some sort of rebellion or war by the end of the book as well. These dystopian novels usually deal with someone standing up against the tyrannical government in it.
Ok, your turn!