So I don’t plan on there being any breaks in posting from here into the foreseeable future for either of these two sites, but I figure that we need to have a few discussions about what will work best for all of us as we continue into the unknown.
I’d like to ask for your opinions about what does and does not work for you and what you’d like to see more or less of.
Let’s start with the obvious elephant in the room.
When I was doing research back in September for where I was going to move to (YES, I HAVE BEEN HOLDING THIS IN FOR TWO FUCKING MONTHS), I settled on WordPress because I was familiar with their posting system and I knew I’d ultimately be able to have a custom template built that best suited what I wanted to do. That being said, the way to register or subscribe to this site is a tad confusing. So here are your options:
1) Register for this blog as a member/user. Over on the right side, under “Meta,” click Register. This will create a UNIQUE LOGIN FOR THIS WORDPRESS BLOG ONLY. This is why you can’t use it across the board.
2) Enter your general WordPress account info in the comments to “login.” If you already have a WordPress account, you can comment.
3) Register for an IntenseDebate account. And they are pretty nifty, because you can use it all over the web and it tracks where you left all your comments so that it is easy to see if anyone replied to you.
4) Enter your nickname, email, and optional site. This way doesn’t subscribe you in any way and also is 100% temporary.
I’ve also removed the limit on having a moderator approve your first comment before it shows up. It’s already too much work and I can’t imagine how bad it would be during a live blog. Yikes!
Make sense? I’m not turning on Facebook registration because Facebook already creeps me out and I’d like to avoid using them.
Onwards we go!
GIFs, JPGs, PNGs, etc in comments.
They are now live. You MUST use your own hosting, as you can no longer host them in the comments. I’m going to look into a CSS hack that might allow you to upload to my hosting that I bought, but for the time being, you’ll have to use the < img src=”URL HERE” > code. And remove the spaces around the brackets.
I EXPECT MANY GIFS IN THE COMMENTS. Since it’s paginated better and you can actually close all the comments, the page should load better.
Of course, the first thing everyone has asked me is HEY MARK WHEN ARE YOU STARTING EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW RIGHT NOW.
Ok, I’m exaggerating. But it’s a fair question. There’s really no set timeline in terms of order because the beauty of having my own site with easily-discernable categories is that I can review multiple things all at the same time, whereas on Buzznet I was limited to creating new profiles for each new project.
So here’s what’s going to happen here on Mark Reads:
-I’ll be doing the Hunger Games read starting MONDAY, November 22nd. YES. THAT SOON. Booyah!
– I will also begin re-reading Harry Potter this weekend as well. My tentative idea for how I will split up the series is as follows:
- Sorcerer’s Stone in two parts.
- Chamber of Secrets in two parts.
- Prisoner of Azkaban in two parts.
- Goblet of Fire in three parts
- Order of the Phoenix in four parts
- Half-Blood Prince in three parts.
- Deathly Hallows in three parts.
They’ll be interspersed in with the other reviews, but you can always check out the ‘Harry Potter’ category on the right to see if I’ve updated. Or, if you subscribe via RSS or Google Reader or the sort, I’ll make sure to title the posts with ‘Mark Re-Reads Harry Potter’ so that you know.
I haven’t done this yet and was curious if you guys would be interested in it. I know many of you follow me on my @panasonicyouth account, but would you be interesting in @markreadswatches as an account just for these two sites? It might help with announcements, shenaniganry, and promotion. THOUGHTS?
I ALREADY DID IT. Follow me:@MarkDoesStuff
And now I turn to you. What else would you like to see or hear from me? What about for the site itself? The custom template is being worked on, so this site won’t be super plain and white for much longer, but are there any accessibility concerns you may have?
AH I AM SO EXCITED.