I seriously feel like I started this quartet yesterday. HOW???
Hello, friends! Well, that was a rather lovely journey, wouldn’t you say? I adored these four books, and these characters are not even remotely okay. Let me first deal with my predictions for Briar’s Book before we talk of OTHER THINGS.
- Easy one: this book will cover a specific journey for Briar. Very easy! Cheating, almost.
- I think that also means we’ll get a backstory of sorts for Rosethorn. Technically, she does reveal some aspects of her life to Daja while feverish, yes???
- The book will cover some sort of conflict that concerns plant magic. You know, this is not at all what I mean for “plant magic” when I made this prediction. It makes sense, though, that these kind of mages would be useful to combat disease.
- The book will end with some sort of definitive closure on this chapter of the Discipline house characters. I don’t know if that counts for ALL of them, but it’s a huge bit of closure for Briar. HIS BIRTHDAY. SOBS.
- Moonstream will play a bigger part in the story. HAHAHA, TECHNICALLY???? But not really! I’d love to know more about her.
- Daja will interact with a Trader once in this book. Nope.
- Briar and Tris will become closer than they were in past books. I’d say this came true!
- Briar will have to save Rosethorn at some point. I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS PREDICTION, I ONLY BARELY REALIZED HOW IRONIC THIS IS.
- We’ll also learn more about Briar’s past. Actually, not that much.
- The entire book will be set in Winding Circle. I GOT THIS BACKWARDS.
- BUT there will be multiple scenes in Summersea. MOST OF IT IS IN SUMMERSEA OMG.
- A secondary character will die and I am saying this to steel myself for the inevitable. Good fucking god, I thought it would be Rosethorn in chapter 12, and then I thought I was safe, and then Tamora Pierce drove the knife in deeper.
- Can we get an update about Briar’s adorable plant he got? LITERAL LIFE SAVER.
- Actually, I don’t have anything else to predict. THIS IS A LOT HARDER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. Oh, sweetie, you have no idea how hard this book will be.
So, I know absolutely nothing about any sort of context or characters who appear in The Circle Opens quartet. PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL THIS FOR ME. This goes for the three books that come afterwards that are set in Emelan. I would like to remain surprised for who might or might not show up in the future. THANK YOU.
Now, I would normally wait until I finish Emelan to host a Q&A about this series, but this is a well-timed break for me. I’ll actually be home and not traveling, and I have LOTS OF FEELINGS about Circle of Magic. Please feel free to get me to talk about this quartet, I WILL HAVE A LOT TO SAY. Additionally, I’m here answering questions, so you do not need to keep it confined to Circle of Magic inquiries. I’ll be around all day, so if you’ve ever had a burning question you wanted answered, now is the time.
Onwards I go into new Emelan territory!
Mark Links Stuff
– The Mark Does Stuff Tour 2015 is now live and includes dates across the U.S., Canada, Europe, the U.K., and Ireland. Check the full list of events on my Tour Dates / Appearances page.
– My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often. My next Double Features for Mark Watches will be the remainder of The Legend of Korra, series 8 of Doctor Who, and Kings. On Mark Reads, Diane Duane’s Young Wizards series will replace the Emelan books.
– Mark Does Stuff is on Facebook! I’ve got a community page up that I’m running. Guaranteed shenanigans!
– If you would like to support this website and keep Mark Does Stuff running, I’ve put up a detailed post explaining how you can!
– Please check out the MarkDoesStuff.com. All Mark Watches videos for past shows/season are now archived there!