In the twenty-seventh and twenty-eight chapters of The Westing Game, Turtle solves the game, and the heirs look to start their new lives. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to read The Westing Game.
Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Happy Fourth / Chapter Twenty-Eight: And Then . . .
- I know there are another pair of chapters after this, but I’m already satisfied with how this is all coming together. It’s not just about Turtle being right, though that’s one of my favorite aspects of this. These characters still matter, as do their stories and their growth over the course of the game.
- I am just so into the idea that Judge Ford fully accepts the “court” that Turtle started.
- And thus, we get the end of the game: The heirs are given the deed to Sunset Towers in equal shares, which is actually pretty fantastic in and of itself. You have an apartment for free for the rest of your life???? I’LL TAKE THAT. And Crow gets thirty thousand dollars! At the time, though, it seemed like no one got the fortune, so… yeah. I was a little peeved by what I perceived as the ending because the whole thing was a bit cruel, you know? After all that, no one won? But didn’t Turtle figure it all out, or did that not count?
- So when the fireworks went off at the Westing House, burning it to the ground, I was convinced that this was it. Flora was the one who made me look at things different. They all got $10,000 to play a game, and they won an apartment building!
- (OH MY GOD THE COVER ARTWORK WAS SPOILING THE ENDING THE WHOLE TIME.)
- But then:
- “The orange glow of the morning sun had just begun its climb up the glass front of Sunset Towers when Turtle set out to collect the prize.”
- WAIT. WHAT.
- oh my god
- I WAS RIGHT
- WESTING, NORTHRUP, MCSOUTHERS, and now, Julian Eastman.
- Doctor Sikes answered the door and said Mr. Eastman was expecting Turtle??? Can I just assume that Sam Westing knew that Turtle was going to win the whole time?
- I love how emotional this all feels. Turtle cycles through panic and fear and anticipation as she gets closer and closer to finding out if she’s right. Even though Turtle knows his real identity, I found it touching that she calls Sam Westing Sandy. That’s who she’ll always know him as, since that’s who she became friends with. Of course, I also thought
- I FELL FOR THE WEDDING MISDIRECT. I THOUGHT THAT WAS ANGELA AND DENTON’S WEDDING BUT NO. OTIS AND CROW. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Oh my god, Judge Ford is leaving Sunset Towers AND SHE USED THE MONEY FROM HER PART OF SUNSET TOWERS TO PAY FOR CHRIS THEODORAKIS’S EDUCATION. NOOOOOOO OH MY GOD THAT IS INCREDIBLE.
- And James made his wife a business partner, instead of ignoring her desires and objectifying her and THERE ARE TOO MANY EMOTIONS TO BE HAD HERE.
- Sydelle Pulaski, the mistake, heads back to work, and we get a feel for how much this experience has changed her life. She still cares about attention, but she doesn’t need to manufacture it anymore. She can get it all on her own.
- It’s nice that the Wexlers grew closer because of this, too. Grace now runs Hoo’s on First, which the Hoo’s gave to her in the wake of their father’s success. Angela broke off her engagement with Denton to pursue MEDICAL SCHOOL. OH MY GOD THIS IS SO WONDERFUL.
- TURTLE IS USING HER MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO PLAY THE FUCKING STOCK MARKET, ISN’T SHE?????
- Can we talk about the undeniable goodness that is Otis and Crow putting their money into the soup kitchen to help those in need??? BLESS.
The original text/videos contain use of the word “mad.”
Mark Links Stuff
- If you would like to support this website and keep Mark Does Stuff running, I’ve put up a detailed post explaining how you can!
- Please check out the MarkDoesStuff.com. All Mark Watches videos for past shows/season are now archived there!
- My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often.
- I will be at quite a few conventions and will be hosting numerous events throughout the US, Canada, and Europe in 2014. Please check my Tour Dates/Appearances page often to see if I’m coming to your city!