In the second chapter of Wild Magic, none of this is what I expected. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to read Wild Magic.
Chapter Two: The Hawk
- This chapter opens with SO MANY MYSTERIES, shifting the narrative focus away from Onua and onto Daine. And then we find out she’s keeping MANY THINGS A SECRET FROM ONUA. Why did “they” turn on her??? WHO ARE THEY? Her family? Her village? What’s the scandal? Is she lying about being an orphan? Well, wait, no, because Onua could tell when Daine was lying in the last chapter. What the hell is going on?
- Look, I am always going to compliment this when it appears in any of Tamora Pierce’s work, but I am so happy to see women getting along and being friends. Onua may respect Daine for being a good companion, but she really has no incentive to be friendly. Yet she does it anyway. That’s so awesome.
- HOW OFTEN TO ANIMALS JUST SHOW UP AND CUDDLE WITH DAINE, AND WHY HAVE I EXISTED ON THIS PLANET FOR 29 YEARS AND NEVER ACQUIRED THIS POWER? This is not fair, y’all.
- I suspected that Daine’s “talent” with animals was more than that once the badger told her that it was possible for her to hear and find them. Outside her dreams. And then she can “sense” creatures around her, so this is… this has to be what the title is referring to, right? Allow me the chance to actually be prepared for once.
- WHAT ARE THOSE
- WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS
- ARE THOSE GRIFFINS???
- ARE GRIFFINS REAL THINGS IN THIS FICTIONAL WORLD.
- “The attackers were smeared with filth. When they spoke or smiled, she saw razor-sharp teeth caked with what she knew was old blood.” No, seriously, what are these things??? These are very specific details to include. Why are they so readily associated with decay?
- THE DOG AND THE PONIES HELPED OUT AND SO DID A BUNCH OF BIRDS. THIS IS SO COOL TO ME.
- “The bird that had been in Daine’s hand jumped into the air and zipped past, nearly missing the K’mir’s nose. In the marsh, she heard a rush of song. Birds took off, clumsily at first, as if they were stiff. An owl that lay in the road moved, then flew away as she stared. She was positive that the bird’s head had been cut half off.”
- THIS BOOK IS NOT WHAT I THOUGHT IT WAS. Is Daine the animal Jesus or something? Did she just give her own energy to RESURRECT DEAD BIRDS??? Who the fuck is this girl, and where did she come from????
- The Stormwings are MADE OF METAL. HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?
- I know I touched on this in the video below, but I really need to talk about it again: “…they aren’t supposed to exist, not here.” It’s revealed a few sentences later that centuries ago, the Stormwings lived on battlefields just to desecrate bodies. But why does Onua say this? She doesn’t say that they aren’t supposed to exist because they’re extinct or died out. She implies they’re supposed to exist somewhere else. And this could just be me obsessing about diction in the most pointless way imaginable, but WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO EXIST? Can we never, ever, ever go there? Thanks.
- Daine can hear animals and speak to them. Her powers aren’t that developed yet, as she can’t completely hear the hawk she eventually finds, but I’m guessing that the “scandal” is related to this. Did Daine do something in Snowsdale that frightened her fellow villagers? Oh, y’all, do you realize how into this book I am already? This is how you draw me in!
- I thought I was prepared when I guess that this hawk was not a real hawk, and I could not have been more wrong if I tried. Despite being right, it didn’t help.
- It doesn’t help that Pierce hides the truth from the reader because Onua is full of secrets. I really want to know how she knew the hawk would be in that marsh valley. Of course, it’s possible that coming across him was totally a coincidence. Oh god, I don’t know yet!!!
- Daine’s sass when she becomes irritated at Onua’s secretive behavior reminded me of Alanna.
- “He bore a lance; on his left arm was a red shield with a device like a gold cat rearing on its hind paws.”
- SO HELP ME GODS IT’S ALANNA. I DID NOT EXPECT HER TO SHOW UP SO SOON H E L P THIS IS SO AMAZING.
- oh my god HAKIM IS HERE, TOO. This really makes it feel like Song of the Lioness isn’t over, that this is all a part of one big, evolving story. BLESS.
- “Don’t tell me,” Alanna said. “You expected someone bigger.” PLEASE NEVER CHANGE, ALANNA.
- You know, until Onua said outloud, I hadn’t thought about the fact that Alanna was a super good healer. Oh shit, she can heal the hawk!!! YES. Then we’ll find out who it is!
- Except it’s not quite that easy. Daine has to reveal her power to everyone, and I’m so happy this is out in the open already. If I’m right and her “scandal” has to do with this ability, then it will be good for her not to be demonized for who she is this early in the story.
- Oh god, who is Arram Salmalín? Why was he imprisoned in the body of a hawk? Why do Alanna and Onua know him?
- “I’ll explain everything – later.” NO, I WANT TO KNOW NOW, AND THE CHAPTER IS ENDING. THIS ISN’T FAIR.
I love being bewildered by chapter two. Bless.
Mark Links Stuff
– You can follow me on Twitter for any updates and live commentary on upcoming reviews I’m writing.
– You should read this very important post about supporting Mark Does Stuff!
– Video commissions are just $25! You can commission me to read, watch, or play anything for current, past, or upcoming projects right here!
– The glorious Mark Watches Doctor Who: Series 4 ebook is now out and available for only $3.99!
– I’ve started reading The Shoebox Project for Mark Reads, the first fanfic “series” I’ve ever covered!
– Both Mark Reads Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince are now available in paperback form!