I want to say that I’ll be good at this, but who am I kidding? This is going to be abysmal, and y’all are just going to sit there and cackle at how wrong I am.
Let’s first address my predictions for In the Hand of the Goddess.
- Jonathan and Alanna will get in trouble for sneaking out. Nope. Oh god, I seriously was so wrong about this. 0/1
- The Bazhir will be reluctantly excited about them ridding the Black City of the Nameless Ones. Nope. 0/2. THIS IS A GOOD START.
- The Bazhir will NOT move into the Black City, instead choosing to burn it to the ground. Hahaha, WHAT. 0/3
- Sir Myles will find out about Alanna’s secret. HE ALREADY KNEW OMG. 1/4
- One of the pages won’t survive the Ordeal. I’m guessing Raoul. Well, I tried. 1/5
- Jonathan and George will stop being friends. NOOOOO. What. 1/6
- Alex will betray the Prince. what the fuck. Well, he did attack Alanna! What’s going to happen to him now that Roger is dead? Don’t answer that. 1/7
- DUKE ROGER IS TOTALLY EVIL. I DON’T BELIEVE THE PRINCE. And we’ll find out in the next book. Yes! Finally! 2/8
- Alanna will be in the hand of a goddess? wtf I DON’T KNOW WHAT THIS TITLE MEANS I guess??? Given the first chapter. THIS COUNTS. 3/9
- Alanna will save Jonathan’s life by the end of the book. I wanted to count this on a technicality, since she killed Roger, but I expected something more explicit, so let’s just go with WRONG. 3/10
- We’ll find out why Jonathan is the Night-One. Hahaha, why was I so obsessed with this detail? 3/11
- Everyone else will remain friends? Please? This actually doesn’t count because plenty of folks lose Roger as a friend. DAMN IT I WAS HOPING THIS WOULD BE AN EASY ONE. 3/12
- I will be wrong about 90% of this. Nope. More like 77%. I’m still awful at this. 3/13
Okay, so, bright and early on Monday, I’ll start the third book in the Song of the Lioness quartet, The Woman Who Rides Like A Man. Oh god, THAT TITLE. Here are my poorly-formed predictions for this book:
- Alanna will fight a dragon. COME ON, WHY NOT? There’s a talking cat, so why can’t there be dragons in this fictional world?
- We will meet a new tribe/race/society of people we’ve not seen before.
- Coram will die at some point during the journey. Look, I’m just trying to protect myself in advance. There is nothing wrong with this.
- Alanna will get separated from her horse for at least one chapter.
- She will fight someone by chapter three.
- Her adventure will involve saving a man! OMG subvert that damsel in distress trope. DO IT.
- She won’t see anyone aside from Coram or Faithful who was in the first two books in this third book.
- The “adventure” she seeks out will take up the whole of the third book.
- She’ll make a new friend!
- She will meet one of George’s thieves.
- The last book gave me VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO GO ON, so I’m really grasping for straws here.
- Alanna will have another conversation with the Mother.
- At the end of the book, she will go back to Court.
All right, see y’all on Monday! Or tomorrow if you’re reading Feed. YOU SHOULD BE READING FEED.
Mark Links Stuff
- You can follow me on Twitter for any updates and live commentary on upcoming reviews I’m writing.
- You should read this very important post about supporting Mark Does Stuff!
- I’ve started reading The Shoebox Project for Mark Reads, the first fanfic “series” I’ve ever covered! Join me!