OH HELL YES. Do y’all realize what this means? Mark this date on your calendars: DECEMBER 5TH, 2011 WAS THE DAY MARK FINISHED HIS LAST TWILIGHTÂ BOOK AND WILL NEVER HAVE TO READ THESE BOOKS EVER AGAIN. I hear angels singing someone. And that means MORE HARRY POTTER!!!!!
First things first: BUY MY NEW BOOK!
Mark Reads Breaking DawnÂ is the final eBook in the Mark Reads TwilightÂ series, and it’s got 144 pages of mind-fuckery, wank, and the slow degradation of my mind over the course of thirty-eight chapters and an epilogue. I’ve heard that every time you buy this book, fourteen French bulldogs appear outside your door, awaiting a cuddle party. Don’t take my word for it; just buy the book and you’ll see this is true.
The book is available in PDF, Kindle, and ePub (Nook, iBook) format for just $2.99. What does this money go towards, you ask?
- General upkeep of Mark Reads and Mark Watches. (Unlimited bandwidth ain’t cheap, y’all, and we need LOTS of it around here.)
- Funding for the Mark Does Stuff Tour of 2012. I am still finalizing dates, but folks on the east coast should get hella stoked soon. YOU SHOULD.
- Future projects! One of which I will discuss in a bit!
I am inching ever close to being able to support myself off of eBook sales and Google AdSense payments, but I’m still not quite there. Any help you can give me is appreciated; I would love to be able to do this full-time and run multiple series at once, as well as host more special events. Thank you in advance! Which brings me to the best thing ever:
MARK READS HARRY POTTER BOOKS!
The time has come for me to convert all seven books into an eBook format, as I’ve done with Mark Reads Twilight, but this is not going to be an easy process. I have decided that these books deserve a very special treatment, and that’s going to be rather time-consuming on a lot of fronts. First and foremost, all seven of these eBooks will include adapted reviews in a book format AND a complete re-read of the series. I want these books to be the very best digital books imaginable, so I thought it would be fun to include the original reviews, and then a brand new set of reviews with the re-reads of them. TWO BOOKS IN ONE BOOK oh god can any of you handle this shit.
In the next week, I will be handpicking my new batch of editors for the Mark Reads Harry PotterÂ series and working through the manuscript for Mark Reads Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I expect to have the first book done by Christmas time SO IT’S LIKE I’M SANTA CLAUS OR SOMETHING.
But I really want these books to amazing, so I’d like to formally announce the very first Mark Reads contest, and it’s a doozy!
MAKE THE COVERS FOR THESE BOOKS AND GET PAID TO DO SO
the very best contest of 2011
Dear wonderful artists of the Harry PotterÂ community: I want the covers for these eBooks to make people do this:
But I am not generallyÂ a fan of crowdsourcing this stuff for “recognition” or “bragging rights” because let’s get real here: that shit doesn’t buy vegan Twinkies, does it? (I found a place here in San Francisco that makes them. I can’t even deal. They are fucking criminal.)
So, ready for this?
- Produce a general idea/template/sketch/rough draft for what you think the covers for theÂ Mark Reads Harry PotterÂ series of eBooks should look like. You do not need to complete all seven; you are welcome to provide the first one as an example of the style you want to go for. Keep in mind that I’d prefer all seven had some stylistic component in common; otherwise, let your creativity wander! Again, you do not need to come up with the designs for all seven.
- Email your submission to markreadsandwatches [at] gmail [dot] com. Feel free to defend/sell/write a dissertation to explain anything. I’m totally down to read any contextual info you want to provide.
- Do so by Wednesday, December 21st, 11:59pm PST.Â Sixteen days is enough time, yes?
- Sit back and feel good about being awesome.
What will the winner get?
- I will use your covers for all seven books.
- Every Harry Potter fan will think you are like Luna’s best friend or something.
- Oh, and I’ll give you $100 for EACH cover. Yes, that’s $700 total, but $100 payable each time within 24 hours of each book being released. (And the only reason I have this stipulation is because I once paid a designer to do the themes for both my sites, gave them money to do it, and then they disappeared forever. You’ll get the money for them, but only after each one is published.)
- I’ll probably high five you a bunch of times.
- Internet fame.
For those submitting art: No one will everÂ see your submissions, and they do not belong to me. I will not ever use them for anything ever unless I choose you as the winner, and then we can draw up a contract if you so please to commission the covers from you.
I AM SO EXCITED TO START DOING THESE. Editing/writing will be so much easier BECAUSE I WILL ACTUALLY LIKE THE SOURCE MATERIAL. Plus, it’ll be fantastic to re-visit the books and commit to actuallyÂ doing the re-reads. I expect these books to be at least double the size as the TwilightÂ ones, so they may be a couple dollars more. But I’ve already seen them pirated online and if you can’t afford them, I don’t care if people pass them about. I’m just happy that people LIKE MY WORDS.
One last note: To all my LeakyCon friends who gave me your email addresses, I still have them, and all of you wonderful people who saw my panel will still get your super mega awesome gifts. PROMISE. And the first one is coming soon!
Thank you all for the support and OH MY GOD HARRY POTTER YES THIS IS A VICTORY.