Welcome to the end of The Broken Earth!
Oh, what a delight to return to the work of N.K. Jemisin, yâ€™all. This was truly one of the very best series I have ever read for this site, and Iâ€™m going to be thinking about it for a long time. (I also think that this might be one of the rare set of books I re-read that Iâ€™ve covered for Mark Reads. Iâ€™ve only ever done that with the Doggy Books by Tamora Pierce, His Dark Materials, and Deep Secret, which I re-read last year just to see how Iâ€™d feel about it.) I imagine that these are immensely rewarding works to revisit.Â
But this is not about that! I wanted to have a big Q&A party about the series as a whole to wrap it. First, letâ€™s go over my predictions for this book, and I already know one of these was EMBARRASSINGLY bad.
Â The title is referring to… the Moon?
- We will find out that Alabaster was â€œresurrectedâ€ in a way, but as a stone eater. Donâ€™t ask me how thatâ€™s possible, I donâ€™t know. Okay, yes, totally nailed this, but I FORGOT THIS FOR MOST OF THE BOOK LMAAAOOO
- Weâ€™ll get a scene where Hoa eats part of Essunâ€™s stone body. Correct!
- I think the stone and the pure magic will spread evenly over Essunâ€™s body. I LIKE SYMMETRY. Hereâ€™s me completely not understanding how all the mechanics of this work. Theyâ€™re not â€œseparateâ€ things, Mark! READING COMPREHENSION, COME ON.
- At some point, Nassun and Essun will be reunited. Iâ€™m cry.
- And as much as I hate to say this, I think they will not be (initially) on the same side. WOW HOLY SHIT. I mean, I wasnâ€™t even close to the true context, but still!
- I think Steel is manipulating Nassun on behalf of Evil Earth. This was outright confirmedâ€¦ but not as a means of working on behalf of Evil Earth. Three sides to this war!
- I also think Nassun will reject her mother in some way. In some way??? SOME??? OH MARK.
- We will officially meet Evil Earth in some form on the page. AND IT WAS HORRIFYING
- Schaffa will die. I remain utterly transfixed by his arc, still!!!
- Ykka and Essun will go get drunk together at some point. This isâ€¦ this is so cruel. WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF.
- We will learn where the Guardians actually came from and the original intent of their creation. We actually did!!!!
- WE WILL SEE THE MOON look itâ€™s an easy one. And still HEARTBREAKING.
- The Moon will successfully be returned to the world. Yep!
- But Essun will die in doing so. NO TAKE IT BACK
- And Nassun will be the one to use the Obelisk Gate, not Essun. Actually, I was going to count this as wrong, butâ€¦ technically, Essun uses onyx, not the Gate, right?
- I think Nassun will also kill Evil Earth. I DONâ€™T KNOW HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE, but Iâ€™m trying to predict haphazardly here because maybe it will help. It wonâ€™t. YOUâ€™RE WRONG
So, not the worst, but definitely not a rousing success.
If youâ€™ve not attended a Q&A Party before, think of this as a means for me to reflect on the whole series, rather than just on each individual chapter. I love talking about overall themes, favorite moments, and equally love that I cannot be spoiled so BRING ON ALL THE FANART. If there are cool interviews or essays youâ€™d love to share about this series, now is the time to link them to me!!! Iâ€™ll be around all day answering everything I can.
And with that said, itâ€™s time for the last piece of this. Iâ€™m sure many of you are wondering what will be covered on Mark Reads next. The truth is that I still donâ€™t know. I had intended to begin looking at suggestions and picking something a couple weeks ago, but the truth is that I am very overwhelmed. I have been on non-stop deadline since August 2, and aside from my birthday weekend last month, I have actually not had a day off.
With the urging of my therapist, I am actually going to put Mark Reads on hiatus. I need time, basically, and I donâ€™t want anything else in my life to suffer from burnout or being overstressed. This will not affect Mark Watches or Patreon; I still have quite a few shows lined up for Mark Watches that Iâ€™ll be announcing soon. Itâ€™s just that the end of this series has offered me a clean place to take a break and recoup. I have a number of intense deadlines to conquer in the next month.Â
My plan is to reassess in a month, and I will announce Mark Readsâ€™s next book AFTER I have written the reviews for it. Deadlines are weird, fluctuating things in publishing. I can go from super busy one week to literally nothing for like ten days. That happened to me in September, and Iâ€™m still recovering from having zero deadlines the week before Each of Us a Desert came out to having NINE of them a week later. Itâ€™s hard to plan for these things because I never know when edits are coming back.Â
All this to say: itâ€™s easy to find time to squeeze in a review or two, but I donâ€™t want to announce a new book, write a few reviews, and then cliffhanger you because I got busy. So, let me clear up my schedule a bit, and when I have a new book to review, youâ€™ll get those reviews without having to worry that Iâ€™ll take a long time to complete them.
Thanks for the understanding. This site has been going for just over ten years now, and Mark Reads will be 12 next year. Iâ€™m not going away; just re-shuffling things until life calms down a bit. As I mentioned, this wonâ€™t interrupt the schedule for anything else. Itâ€™s just a workload reduction for the time being.
Thank you for this wonderful ride. Hereâ€™s to many more journeys!
Mark Links Stuff
– My second novel, EACH OF US A DESERT, is now out in the world!
– If you’d like to stay up-to-date on all announcements regarding my books, sign up for my newsletter! DO IT.