In the thirty-eighth chapter of Blackout, the team stands up to the CDC. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to read Blackout.
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!
- Bless you, Shaun, for immediately checking out of the conversation. As much fun as it would be to here all the expository dialogue from the man from the CDC’s mouth, it is far more in-character for Shaun to have this introspective moment, reflecting on the choice he and his team have just made. It’s also fitting that Head!Georgia (or whatever we’re calling her now) makes an appearance in the opening of this chapter. This is one of the better treatments of mental illness I’ve seen in a book. Look, as someone who has lived through quite a few traumatic events in my life, it’s comforting to read from the point of view of a character who is struggling with their own sanity long after their own trauma. It’s been years and years since the worst of it for me, and it still hasn’t gone away. I don’t think it’s ever going to, and that’s probably the nature of it for a lot of you, too.
- Which is why the doctor’s reaction to learning that Shaun talks to himself is so callous and gross. Like, dude, this situation is not at all the same. These people trust Shaun because HE ISN’T KILLING ALL OF THEIR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS FOR A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT.
- And then, out of fucking nothing, Georgia shows up. Like someone played her card in a tabletop game, I swear. MIRA GRANT USES GEORGIA 7.3. IT’S SUPER EFFECTIVE.
- And she has a gun.
- Pointed at the doctor.
- And Gregory is with her.
- AND PRESIDENT RYMAN LOOKS RELIEVED. That might be the single most devastating thing in this entire chapter. This man has been blackmailed with his own family, and he’s just relieved that he has a sliver of a hope of getting them back.
- “You’re making a large mistake. People have died for less.” “People have died for nothing,” George shot back.” OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.
- “We’re the ones that people listen to… and we’re the ones who learned about backups from Georgette Meissonier.” George smiled. “Anybody here who doesn’t have six cameras running, raise hand.” YOU ARE ALL MY VERY FAVORITE PEOPLE.
- So is Shaun. Look, I am aware of the fact that Shaun’s immune to KA, and I’m sure everyone else will be aware of this in the next chapter. That doesn’t reduce the impact of Shaun’s willingness to sacrifice himself to save President Ryman. What an incredible person, y’all.
- Oh god, WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT. I’m so close to finishing this book, and that scares me. I don’t know how it’s going to end, and then I start realizing how much I don’t want to leave these characters behind.
Mark Links Stuff
- I have been nominated for a Hugo in the Fan Writer category! If you’d like more information or to direct friends/family to vote for me, I have a very informational post about what I do that you can pass along and link folks to!
- I have announced what the next books I am reading on Mark Reads will be, as well as updated y’all on the events, cons, tour dates, GOING TO EUROPE OH MY GOD, and general shenaniganry going on in my life. I have a similar post up on Mark Watches, detailing the next two shows I’m doing as well as the return of Double Features, and I finally explain what happened with my Vimeo account. Check these posts out!
- Mark Reads Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is now published and available for purchase! It’s available in ebook AND physical book format, and you can also get a discount for buying the ENTIRE SET of digital books: $25 for 7 BOOKS!!!
- Video commissions are open, and you can commission a Mark Reads/Watches video for just $25!