As requested, this page will serve as the location for people to suggest single books and series for me to read.
Due to this list being so long that I fear I’ll be 85 when I am done, I am no longer taking suggestions. I will announce if it is opened back up.
I’ll keep this simple. Here are the rules. 1) Please suggest a series/book ONLY ONCE. Don’t make multiple comments for it. Check to see if someone else has suggested what you want. Feel free to upvote them and comment on that specific thread, but don’t make a separate one.
2) Obviously, name the title of the book and the author. If it is a series, name the title of the series and LIST each book’s title. Please let me know if the series is FINISHED or if it is ONGOING.
3) Pitch it to me. Why should I read this particular book? Please avoid any major spoilers, obviously; if you’d like, you can even avoid giving me a summary if you think any info might be spoilery. Be creative!
4) SERIOUSLY. DO NOT SPAM. I will delete your comment and resolve to never read that book just to spite you.
In order to keep people from repeating themselves, I’ve decided to include a definitive list of confirmed books and rejected books. If I confirm a book/series, that means that at some point in the future, I will 100% read that book/series. If I reject a book/series, I either have no interest in that book/series or I have another reason for not doing it, which I will explain.
When I update this list, I will delete all of the comments below. This is to prevent the problem of the page breaking because there are thousands of comments. Plus, it’ll be very easy to determine if you should pitch a book or series to me because you won’t have to read thirty-one pages of comments!
AND PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT THE ORDER I AM READING THESE IN. I WILL DECIDE WHAT I AM READING NEXT BASED ON MY INTEREST AND FANS YELLING AT ME. ilu all
- A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
- A Series of Unfortunate Events series
- Abhorsen series – Garth Nix
- An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
- Bartimaeus trilogy – Jonathan Stroud
- Borderliners - Peter Hoeg
- Bridge of Birds - Barry Hughart
- Chaos Walking series
- Chrestomanci series – Diana Wynn Jones
- Death Note - Tsugumi Ohba
- Discworld - Terry Pratchett (Will figure out order/logistics at some point.)
- Dune - Frank Herbet. Y’all convinced me.
- Feed - Mira Grant (I’ll do the whole trilogy)
- Gone series – Michael Grant
- Good Omens - Pratchett/Gaiman
- Graceling - Kristen Cashmore
- Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy series!
- Hold Me Close, Necromancer - Lish McBride
- House of the Scorpion - Nancy Farmer
- Imajica - Clive Barker
- Incarceron - Catherine Fisher
- Inkheart trilogy – Cornelia Funke
- Jonathan Strange & Mister Norell - Susanna Clarke
- Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
- Leviathan series – Scott Westerfield
- Lucas - Kevin Brooks
- Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
- Mortal Engines quartet – Phillip Reeve
- Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
- Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. - Warren Ellis
- Noughts & Crosses series – Malorie Blackman
- Percy Jackson series
- Planetary - Warren Ellis
- Pluto - Naoki Urasawa
- Queen’s Thief series – Megan Whalen Turner
- Room - Emma Donoghue
- Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman
- Skippy Dies - Paul Murray
- Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
- Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
- Star of the Sea - Joseph O’Connor
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
- The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
- The Brothers Lionheart - Astrid Lindgren
- The Dark is Rising sequence – Susan Cooper
- The Dark Tower series
- The Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
- The Host - Stephenie Meyer
- The Inheritance Trilogy - N.K. Jemisin
- The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle
- The Mysterious Benedict Society books – Trenton Lee Stewart
- The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- The Shoebox Project
- The Song of the Lionness quartet – Tamora Pierce
- The Sparrow / Children of God - Mary Doria Russell
- Th1rteen R3easons - Jay Asher
- Thursday Next Chronicles – Jasper Fforde
- Tomorrow When The War Began - John Marsden
- Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis
- Unwind - Neal Shusterman
- Vorkosigan Saga - Lois McMaster Bujold
- Watership Down - Richard Adams
- Will Grayson Will Grayson - John Green
- Girl With The Dragon Tattoo books – I’ve seen the first movie and they have far too much rape for me to ever handle. Not that they are bad books! I just don’t want to write about rape!
- Anything by Ayn Rand. Never. Again.
- The Mortal Instruments series. I wanted to explain this a bit more. I know too many folks involved with fandom stuff and Cassie Claire, I am friends with many of her friends, and the last thing I want is my blog to be host to people who think my reviews would be a good space to bring up fandom drama like a decade after it happened. My mods do a great job, but this would be asking them to do too much. People are too mean and cruel, and I don’t want to wade into that, nor do I want to be host to disrespect even if it wasn’t my intention. I might read these on my own because I’m curious, and I might do one-off reviews, but I’d rather not unknowingly bring up shit I never wanted to bring up in the first place.
- The Giver - Only because I read it in eighth grade.
- Everything Is Illuminated - Read it already.
- The Maze Runner trilogy. Just have no interest in it.
- House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski. Only because I have read it and I certainly worship it UNTIL THE END OF TIME. Everyone, read this book.
- Life of Pi - Yann Martel. I’ve read it!
- A Great and Terrible Beauty series. I have no interest in this.
- The Young Wizard series. Too many books omg.
- Beloved - Toni Morrison. Read it already.
- Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro. Read it already and my heart.
- Artemis Fowl series. I’ve done enough wizards to last a lifetime. [Author's Note: Why the FUCK did I think this was about wizards? what is wrong with me. Anyway, I must have been thinking of something else. Regardless, I've been massively spoiled for THIS series about FAERIES.]
- The Wheel of Time series. Only rejected due to length/logistics.
- Ender series – Orson Scott Card. Because I hope the man falls into a pit of fire and sadness and I will not give his books any attention because he is a bigot. Also, I read the first book when I was younger, loved it, learned he was a bigot many years later, re-read the first book, and got incredibly sad.
- Sookie Stackhouse series. Only because I’ve seen about a third of True Blood and I have been spoiled for quite a few plots on the show.
- Inheritance Cycle series. I trust many close friends who say that this would send me to my grave because I’ll hate it so much, and I’m not looking to read things I’ll hate these days.
- All Quiet on the Western Front - Read it in high school and LOVED IT.
- The Dresden Files series. Spoiled for a few major plot points, and the recent shitstorm he and his fans have kicked up for whitewashing Chicago is about the last thing I want to deal with. No, thanks.
- Homestuck. Not a book, yes, but it’s still reading and I’m open to new formats. However, I’m about a third of the way through it on my own!
- 1984 - George Orwell. Read it like six times in high school.
- Wrinkle in Time series. omg everyone read these MY CHILDHOOD.
- Catch-22 - Joseph Heller. Read it in high school EVERYONE READ THIS.
- Watchmen - Alan Moore. Read it and died for like a week. Amazing.
- The Neverending Story – Michael Ende. Too spoiled.
- The Robert Heinlein books suggested. Read most of them a long time ago!
- The Three Musketeers / Count of Monte Cristo: Read them!
- Anne of Green Gables - Read them!
- War and Peace: Read it and LOVED IT SO MUCH.
- The Stand – Stephen King. Read it when I was ten (!!!!!1 why !!!!!!!!!) and it’s a personal favorite of mine.
- Scott Pilgrim graphic novels. Read them and seen the movie. WALLACE MY KING!
- The Vampire Chronicles - Read the first two books
- Bone - EVERYONE READ THIS. IT’S SO GOOD.